We’re happy to announce the following success stories — Big Sur Writing Workshop alumni who landed publishing deals by presenting their manuscript to agents at a previous workshop.
Brace yourselves – there are a bunch!
- Jennifer Castle has sold four YA novels to Rosemary Brosnan at HarperCollins, beginning with her debut, The Beginning of After
. She is represented by Andrea Brown Literary Agency (ABLA) agent Jamie Weiss Chilton.
- Shannon Messenger landed a six-figure deal at Simon and Schuster for “The Keeper of the Lost Cities” and is represented by ABLA agent, Laura Rennert.
- Chris Howard came to a December workshop and met his agent, Laura Rennert and his editor, Mallory Kass from Scholastic there and his debut novel was published Fall 2012 entitled Rootless.
- Kathryn Fitzmaurice came to Big Sur and was signed by ABLA agent, Jennifer Rofe. Her first novel, The Year the Swallows Came Early was published by HarperCollins and she has two other novels out.
- Denise Doyen was signed by Jennifer Rofe and has several picture books published now by Random House, including the successful picture book Once Upon a Twice.
- This one comes from agent Laurie McLean, who attended March’s conference where she met writer Toby Neal. Laurie signed Toby, who has since sold more than 500,000 copies of her self-published adult mystery crime series and is currently working on her first YA mystery series. Laurie also sold an audio book deal for Toby’s first adult series and is securing foreign right as you read this!
- Workshop participant Veronica Rossi found an agent and got a mid six-figure deal for her book published by HarperCollins.
- Elle Cosimano signed with one of the industry’s top literary agents, and her first novel, Dead Blue sold in a two book, six figure pre-empt to Kathy Dawson of Dial/Penguin Books for Young Readers. Her YA thriller here: Nearly Gone & her website here: ellecosimano.com
Read her full testimonial about her fantastic experience at the workshophere.
- Tamara Ireland Stone attended the Big Sur Writing Workshop in December 2012. Three months later, her agent, Caryn Wiseman, sold Tamara’s time travel romance, Time Between Us at auction in a two book, six-figure deal to Lisa Yoskowitz of Disney-Hyperion (who’s on the March 2012 meeting faculty!) Since then, Time Between Us has sold in twenty countries, audio rights were sold to Listening Library, and the book was optioned by CBS films. Time After Time, the sequel to Time Between Us, will be released by Disney*Hyperion in October 2013. Read Tamara’s fantastic testimonial here!
- Kim Culbertson, Big Sur Writing Workshop alumni, her YA novel Songs for a Teenage Nomad was recently picked up by Daniel Ehrenhaft, the senior editor at Sourcebooks, to be reissued in hardback under their new young adult imprint FIRE. The imprint also publishes her second YA novel Instructions for a Broken Heart.
- Jennifer Laughran from ABLA (and workshop faculty member) sold the middle grade mystery The Wig in the Window by Kristin Kittscher, who attended Big Sur in 2010, to HarperCollins, edited by former Big Sur faculty editor Rosemary Brosnan!
- Rebecca Wolf, attendee from 2005 on her sale of Rockabye: From Wild to Child
to editor Brooke Warner at Avalon Books, sold by agent, Laura Rennert.
- Congratulations to Christina Meldrum! After attending the Big Sur Writing Workshop several years ago, Laura Rennert of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency, Inc. sold a two book, six-figure deal with Alfred A. Knopf for Christina! We can’t wait to see the books and have Christina attend as faculty.
- Elizabeth Shreeve, who has now sold two picture book manuscripts to Front Street/Boyd’s Mills Press, including Oliver at the Window.
- Crystal Allen, from the December 2008 workshop, sold a two-book, six-figure deal to HarperCollins with agent, Jennifer Rofé, from Andrea Brown Literary Agency, Inc.
Who will be the next success story?
If any other former attendees have sales as a result of attending the workshops, please e-mail Magnus at email@example.com!